The Annual Walking SA Walking Awards program provides a key vehicle for the promotion of the achievements and work of groups, organisations, local and state government, and volunteers in South Australia. The Awards process is an opportunity for public and peer recognition of achievements in walking, and demonstrates to volunteers, community groups, the recreation industry, business, government, and the wider community the significant and positive impact that can be achieved through improvements to walkability.
The release of the 10-year South Australian Walking Strategy in 2023 is the most significant piece undertaken to shape improvements to walking in South Australia. To align with this work, the Annual Walking SA Walking Awards are structured around the three key themes of the Strategy which are Walking for Health, Transport, and Recreation. An additional category has also been added for ‘Outstanding Individual Contribution’ to recognise and celebrate the work of volunteers working in this field.
In 2023, the five award categories are:
- Walking for Health: Supporting South Australians’ health and wellbeing through walking
- Walking for Recreation: Supporting South Australians accessing green open space for walking
- Walking for Transport: Supporting South Australians making short trips by walking
- Outstanding Group or Individual Contribution to advance walking inclusivity: Outstanding group or individual contribution to make walking an all-inclusive activity
- Outstanding Individual Contribution of volunteer to walking: Outstanding individual contribution to walking in South Australia
Award Criteria – guiding principles
Each award will be assessed against its defining criteria, and the four guiding principles:
|Award category||Defining criteria|
|Walking for Health||Initiatives that support South Australians’ health and wellbeing through walking|
|Walking for Recreation||Initiatives that support South Australians accessing nature and green open space for walking|
|Walking for Transport||Initiatives that support South Australians making short trips to local destinations, such as transport stops or local services by walking|
|Outstanding group or individual||Outstanding group or individual to make walking an all-inclusive activity|
|Outstanding individual contribution||Outstanding individual volunteer contribution to walking in South Australia|
Four guiding principles for all awards:
- Evidenced-based action and sustainability — outline any evidence or support that demonstrates the project/program/individual has had (or will have) a positive impact on walking practices, walking infrastructure, walking programs/clubs or numbers of people walking.
- Community engagement, participation, partnerships, and volunteerism — describe any engagement or involvement from the community and volunteers.
- Equitable outcomes — consideration will be given to projects/programs that support vulnerable and low socio-economic communities to support the creation of healthier walking environments; for example, older people, children, and their families and for priority populations (e.g., Aboriginal population, people from culturally and linguistically diverse populations, people with a disability).
- Sharing the learning – consideration will be given to projects/programs that can share what they learned through their project/program. What were the key elements of success? How were obstacles overcome?
All initiatives must have been undertaken in the last 12 months.
Each of the three award categories of Walking for Health, Transport and Recreation will be awarded a $1,500 prize. The two awards for Outstanding Contribution will be awarded $750 to an organisation that furthers the work of their cause (including their organisation if it is an organisation recipient). An individual recipient of either of the Outstanding Contribution Awards will also receive a Walking SA Lifetime Membership.
Key Dates for Awards Entries
Nominations open: 11 September 2023
Nominations close: 16 October 2023
Awards Ceremony: 9 November 2023 (Walking SA AGM)
To nominate for an award, please download the Nomination Form: