The Flinders Ranges National Park Draft Management Plan has been released for public consultation. It sets out objectives and strategies for the ongoing protection and conservation of the natural and cultural values of the Park.
The plan includes recommendations to improve and diversify opportunities for walking and cycling:
- Improving trail information and hazard warning signs to ensure that visitors are able to select activities to match their level of
fitness and capability (particularly during extreme weather).
- Repairing trail surfaces that have deteriorated.
- Developing a world class multi-day walk (with minimal impact hiker accommodation) based on a realignment of the Heysen
Trail along the foothills of the Heysen Range between Bunyeroo Gorge and Aroona Campground.
- Developing a trail from Wilpena Creek to Tanderra Saddle below Ngarri Mudlanha (St Mary Peak) via a ridgeline loop walk.
- Investigating and developing several cycling trails in the Wilpena area.
The Friends of the Heysen Trail have expressed their concerns about the proposed realignment of the Heysen Trail along the Aroona Valley floor.
Review the plan yourself and share your views and any concerns at environment.sa.gov.au/haveyoursay
Responses close July 31, 2015.