Trails Less Travelled: Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction
8am Sunday 16 October
We’ve had lots of volunteers helping out to bring you tomorrow’s event and show people the many different ways to hike up to Mt Lofty summit. Register now, it’s free!
- Recent days have been fabulously sunny but the weather forecast for tomorrow is for some showers. Bring a rain jacket, umbrella or cheap plastic poncho (available from Coles, some servos, camping stores, travel stores, Harvey Norman, Spotlight).
We also recommend:
- wear some runners or hiking boots
- wear a hat and sunblock
- bring something warm to wear at the summit
- bring 1-2L of water (water can be refilled at Mt Lofty summit)
- avoid wearing jeans (if they get wet they stay wet for a long time and can make you feel very cold)
- The following walks are all good to go:
- Wine Shanty Hike (5km, easy)
- Winter Track (6.7km, moderate) [registrations full]
- Crafers (4.8km, easy)
- Chambers Gully (8.2km, challenging) [registrations full]
- Heysen Trail, Bridgewater (5.1km, easy)
- Uraidla (7.5km, moderate)
Regretably we’ve had to cancel these hike options:
- Botanical Gardens
- Measdays Lookout
- Adventure Trail
- All hikes start at 8am. The meeting location for each hike is listed on the hike’s event page, see:
- The summit expo is open from 9am to 1pm, free entry. Thanks to Mountain Designs you could win a Mountain Designs day pack and some walking poles in our event competition. Refresh yourself at The Summit Cafe, stroll among the stall holders in the summit courtyard and enter the competition.
- You can grab a detailed map of the event hikes
- Getting back afterwards
- Some host clubs will offer to also walk back via the same route or another route.
- You may choose to walk your own route to return, or retrace your steps.
- If you’re hiking with a friend you could park a second car at the top before the hike, and drive back to the start in your first car. Then when you reach the top you have a car to drive down in, back to collect the first car.
- Adelaide Metro bus service 823 stops at Mt Lofty Summit at 10:42am, 1:42pm and 4:42pm. The bus service originates in Cleland Wildlife Park and goes to Crafers Park N Ride stop 24 (by the freeway), with connections to the city and hills.