Each year the Friends of Belair National Park commemorate Sir John Cleland’s historic yearly inspection of the Park with two free memorial walks.
- Nature Ramble
2 hour, family-friendly nature ramble, starting at 10am
- Boundary Hike
5 hours, starting at 9am
These events are free but numbers are capped so please be sure to book your ticket via the Eventbrite links above.
Prior to the formation of the Department for Environment and Water in the 1970s the National Park at Belair was run by a group of Commissioners. Professor Sir John Cleland was Deputy Chairman for five years from 1931 and was Chairman from 1936-1956. During this period of office, Cleland undertook the self-imposed task of inspecting Belair National Park on foot, during the period between Christmas and New Year’s Day. It was his purpose to assess the management of the park, in relation to weeds, firebreaks, fencing and anything else that came to his attention, so that he could advise park staff more specifically as to how they could best discharge their duties. While regular inspections with the other Commissioners generally occurred within Belair, John Clelend at this time set out to walk around its boundaries.