Walktober 2017 built upon the success of Walktober 2016 and worked across many activities:
- The themed “best walk” lists encouraged people to explore more walking opportunities, proving once again to be popular and engaging. The lists are an effective way to reach people through the State, regardless of where they live. The lists of Accessible walks, prams walks and kid-friendly walks were popular.
- The “view from my walk” social media promotion was a success, building upon previous years and Walking SA’s rising profile to receive more entries. It saw significantly increased engagement compared to previous year. Over 600 public entries were made on social media. There was a broad range of walking experiences, including walking for transport (suburban) and walking for leisure and health (hiking, evening walks, park walks).
- Overall the major event “Trails Less Travelled” was a success, connecting people with walking resources and promoting the many walking opportunities that are alternatives to the popular Waterfall Gully to Mt Lofty walking trail. The event encouraged more people to walk more often. The event helped to position Walking SA as a knowledge leader and conduit to discover walking destinations in SA.
- The Walking SA 2017 Walking Awards promoted and recognized the role and contribution of walking in our community. The program was more successful than last year which raised the profile and awareness of walking. This places the program in a good position for further reach in future years.
- The events calendar and supported events connected people with more and new walking opportunities.
Email subscriptions grew by 34% (700 subscribers), and individual financial membership grew by 18 people, which are both generally consistent with marketing funnels
Find out more about the promotion at walkingsa.org.au/walktober