This event has passed.
Most Adelaidians are familiar with the Waterfall Gully track to Mt Lofty Summit but did you know there are at least 9 other routes that can get you to the top? Come and join one of our hosted walks and discover some of the lesser known trails exploring Cleland Conservation Park and the trails beyond.
There are walk options to suit everybody. If you’re after a serious climb along forest trails to get your heart pumping, a gentle ramble to take in the scenery or something in between then we have a walk for you. Check out the options and choose from various lengths, terrain and starting points. All walks will start at 8am and will be lead by one of our member clubs so you don’t even need to read a map! Registration is free.
Once you’re at the top, you can refresh yourself at the Summit Cafe and stroll among the stall holders in the summit courtyard.
So whether it’s a new route or an old favourite, register for one of the Trails Less Travelled and we’ll see you at the summit!
- Sunday October 16 2016. Hikes from 8am. Expo at summit from 9am.
Trails Less Travelled
Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction
Mount Lofty Summit,
Cleland South Australia 5152
- Free entry
- 2016-10-16 08:00:00 2016-10-16 14:00:00 Australia/Adelaide Trails Less Travelled Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walktober-2018-archive/event-mt-lofty-2018/ Mount Lofty Summit WalkingSA
This event is 1 of 10 walk events to hike up Mt Lofty for Trails Less Travelled.
8:00am Sunday 16 October 2016
A hike along the Heysen Trail. Starting from Old Bridgewater Mill, the trail follows the old mill run to Cox Creek. After passing through the first of two tunnels, the trail passes the Fairy Garden in Deanery Reserve, before entering the second tunnel into Mt George Conservation Park with it’s dense tall forest. After walking through Stirling Golf Course the trail enters the Scout’s Woodhouse Activity Centre, then follows quiet country lanes past Piccadilly houses, before ascending to the summit of Mt Lofty.
- 2-3 hours
- Hike Length
- 7.8 km
- Start elevation
- End elevation
- Elevation gain
This event has passed.
- Facebook event
Free. Please register.
This event has passed.
- 2016-10-16 08:00:00 2016-10-16 12:00:00 Australia/Adelaide Heysen Trail from Bridgewater (Trails Less Travelled) Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction https://www.walkingsa.org.au/step-into-spring/event-mt-lofty-2018/heysen-trail-bridgewater/ Mount Lofty Summit WalkingSA
- Simple summary map of all hike options
- Simple summary map of SHORT distance hike options
- Simple summary map of MEDIUM distance hike options
- Simple summary map of LONGER distance hike options
- GPX file of all hikes (for a GPS unit)
- KML file of all hikes (for Google Earth)
- Heysen Trail walking map, Mount Lofty to Bridgewater
- KML file for use in Google Earth
- GPX file for GPS device
The walk ratings are easy, moderate and challenging. What do these mean?
You should bear in mind that all these walks are climbing Mt Lofty, and they all have a steep 100m ascent to the summit at the end (as many who have walked the main Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty walking trail would know.)
- Easy: generally a gentle walk on meandering trails that contour around hills. The start point is already high above the plains, so the overall the metres climbed on the hike is low.
- moderate: comparable to the Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty walking trail.
- challenging: a longer or steeper route.
Are the trail distances one-way or return?
All trail distances are the one-way trip from the 8am start point to Mt Lofty Summit.
Do I walk back with the same host?
Some host clubs will offer to also walk back via the same route or another route. Information about the specific walk you register for will be emailed to you and posted on Facebook in the week prior.
- You may choose to walk your own route to return, or retrace your steps.
- If you're hiking with a friend you could park a second car at the top before the hike, and drive back to the start in your first car. Then when you reach the top you have a car to drive down in, back to collect the first car.
- Adelaide Metro bus service 823 stops at Mt Lofty Summit at 10:42am, 1:42pm and 4:42pm. The bus service originates in Cleland Wildlife Park and goes to Crafers Park N Ride stop 24 (by the freeway), with connections to the city and hills.
At the top
- stroll among the stall holders of walking clubs, retailers and tour companies.
- there’s fresh drinking water and toilets at the top
- grab a coffee or bite to eat at the @Summit Cafe
What do I need to wear and bring on the day?
- wear some runners or hiking boots
- wear a hat and sunblock
- if there is a chance of rain, bring a rain jacket or umbrella
- bring something warm to wear at the summit
- bring 1-2L of water (water can be refilled at Mt Lofty summit)
- Event Organiser
More people walking more often