- 10 km one way
- 5km one way (10km return, 3 hours)
- Suitable for
- Hiking, Get to by public transport, Trail Running
- Grade 4, Hard Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Cleland National Park
- Adelaide Hills
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 GPS files
- 8 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
About the Walking Trail
This hike provides an alternative route to Mt Lofty Summit from Waterfall Gully. The trail leaves the main Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty trail between First and Second Falls and rejoins just below the Youth Hostel. Much of the trail is on wide fire track, so can be suitable for large groups. Some sections are steep. Higher up enjoy the forests as the fire track follows the ridges up Chinamans Hut Track.
Options to Begin this hike
- start from the busy carpark at the base of Waterfall Gully
- start from the quiet carpark at Measdays Lookout (Measdays Lookout is a carpark on Old Barker Road – the old freeway before the Heysen Tunnels were constructed. 500 metres beyond Eagle on the Hill, a litle further on from the Eagle Mountain Bike Park.
These directions are from Waterfall Gully carpark, at the end of Waterfall Gully Road.
- Walk up the main Mount Lofty Summit to Waterfall Gully Walking Trail, past First and Second Falls.
- Take the walking trail which switches back up the hill. This is marked with the orange markers for the Adventure Hike. Walk through the first junction marked as Emergency ID 35.
- The single track walking trail opens out on to a fire track intersection, at Emergency IDs 33 and 34 (two marker posts here). Take the Chinamans Track.
- At Emergency ID 31 the track meets the Carro Track, where the Measdays Hike continues up the gully. Turn left here, heading uphill. Walking along the forest trails, continue past the Ballet Spur Trail (Emergency ID 27) and the St Michaels Spur Trail (Emergency ID 25).
- Continue up the walking trail, until the trail meets an intersection the Attunga Track. This intersection is marked as Emergency ID 24.
- Continue along the Chinamans Track, on towards the main Mount Lofty Summit to Waterfall Gully Walking Trail junction (Emergency ID 14) where you will turn right and head up that track to Mount Lofty Summit
- Return on the route you came up, or take the main Mount Lofty Summit to Waterfall Gully Walking Trail back down
Make this hike a loop
- walk up the Adventure Hike, and down the main Mount Lofty Summit to Waterfall Gully Walking Trail