Anstey Hill Loop

dog friendly
historical interest
interpretive signage
mobile phone reception
picnic spot
seating available
views
Access available by Bus
Access available by Car
Rating
Moderate
Duration
3
hours
Route Style
Circuit
Length
7.5
km
Terrain
Steep

About the walk contributor...

Walking SA

walkingsa.org.au

Walking SA is the not-for-profit peak body that leads, promotes and supports all forms of walking in South Australia, including walking for recreation, transport, health, wellbeing, organised events, adventure, environmental appreciation and fun experiences. Our vision is to see more people walking more often.

This 7.5km loop walk around Ansteys Hill Recreation Park includes some steep climbs, superb views over the Adelaide Plains, some of the wildlife of the park, and the ruins of Newmans Nursery.

You can walk your dog in this park provided it remains on a lead.

The Route

The whole hike follows the main blue dolomite wide fire tracks, except parts of the Ridge Top Walk track, and the return along the Boundary Walk track (parallel to Perseverance Road), which is a clay dirt fire track.

  • The suggested hike route starts at the carpark on North East Road, at gate 1.
  • Hike up Quarry Track, through the quarry and ruins
  • Continue following the main blue dolomite track, along the Quarry Track, past the junction of Boehm Walk on to Kaurna Way
  • At the top, turn left along the Ridge Top Walk.
  • Take a shortcut down the Torture Hill Track, or continue on to the 1853 Silver Mine, with its open cut and adit (tunnel), and on to the Lookout.
  • Continue past the Lookout, watching out for koalas, echidnas and kangaroos, to the junction of Newmans Track
  • Turn right down Newmans Track, past the junction to the Torture Hill Track to the ruins of Newmans Nursery.
  • Continue past the ruins, to the water pipeline, turning right on to the Boundary Walk.
  • Follow the Boundary Walk track back to the car park.

Walk Map

History

The main open cut quarry and ruins, dating from 1853 to 1982, supplied stone for buildings, including Adelaide’s war memorial and St Peter’s Cathedral.

Newman's Nursery in 1890, now in ruinsThe Newmans Nursery was established in 1854, and the extensive ruins show glimpses into the past; of heated glass houses, and that it was the largest nursery in the southern hemisphere. The nursery was devastated by flood in 1912, and never quite recovered, being used as a dairy from 1932, and from 1935 assets from the buildings were salvaged and the property used for sheep grazing. What remained was destroyed by Ash Wednesday bushfires in 1983. Some of the family set up the current day Newmans Nursery in 1925, nearby on North East Road.

Shorter Hikes

  • Lookout Walk, 600m return/20 min return
    Starting at gate 18, this easy walk takes in superb views of the Adelaide Plains.
  • Newman’s Nursery Ruins Walk, 3 km return/1 hour return
    Starting from gate 6, this easy walk takes in the ruins of Newman’s Nursery.
  • Geological Hike, 1 km return/1 hour return
    Commencing from gate 9, off Lower North East Rd, this trail traverses a short, steep section to the Gun Emplacement, providing superb views of Adelaide, and continues onto the historic stone quarries in the hills behind the Gun Emplacement.

Access by Public Transport

It’s easily possible to do this hike by catching an Adelaide Metro bus, to bus stop 51N, North East Road, Tea Tree Gully, on route 557, or the 542 to bus stop 52 North East Road (0.7km from park entrance).

Downloads

Download KML/KMZ file
Download GPX file

Walk Details

Walking SA

walkingsa.org.au

Walking SA is the not-for-profit peak body that leads, promotes and supports all forms of walking in South Australia, including walking for recreation, transport, health, wellbeing, organised events, adventure, environmental appreciation and fun experiences. Our vision is to see more people walking more often.

Adelaide City & Suburbs, Adelaide Hills
2-3 hours
Class 3: a well used and obvious bush track
1 hour or less
Bus, Car