- 10.4 km circuit
- 3 hours
- Suitable for
- Hiking, Dog Walking, Get to by public transport, Trail Running
- Grade 3, Moderate Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Belair National Park
- Adelaide Hills
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 GPS files
- 28 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
About the Walking Route
This 10.5km loop hike follows three marked trails through Belair National Park.
- Microcarpa Hike
Walk through one of the most diverse and best-preserved woodland areas remaining in the Mount Lofty Ranges.
- Lorikeet Loop Walk
Wind your way past Old Government House, the State Flora Nursery, and the adventure playground
- Valley Loop Hike
Follows the forested banks and lower slopes of Minnow Creek
This suggested route is a figure-8 loop.
These directions commence from Belair Railway Station, but this loop can be accessed from any of the points listed below. Belair Railway Station is serviced by regular Adelaide Metro trains.
- from the trailhead at Belair Railway Station take the left trail
- at the trailhead on Sir Edwin Avenue turn left following the Microcarpa Hike signs
- when the track meets the Echo Track, turn right
- when the trail meets the Lorikeet Loop Walk, turn right and continue following the Lorikeet Loop Walk signs
- pass the exit to the Wood Duck Walk (Playford Lake), we’ll take this exit later. Continue following the Lorikeet Loop Walk signs past the Information Centre
- Meandering past picnic areas and tennis courts, when the trail crosses Valley Road, begin following the Valley Loop Hike signs
- at the Long Gully Picnic Area, near the Long Gully Residence and Volunteer Centre, the trail returns down the other side of the valley along Minnow Creek. Sometimes upper sections of this track can be muddy
- When the Valley Loop Hike turns left near the Adventure Playground, turn right instead, following the Lorikeet Loop Walk signs again
- When trail re-meets (4), where you had earlier walked from over towards the Echo Track. Continue down the Lorikeet Loop Walk again, beside Workanda Creek.
- When trail re-meets (5), turn right and follow the signs to the Wood Duck Walk (Playford Lake) and the Microcarpa Hike.
- Continue following the Microcarpa Hike back to (2), on Sir Edwin Avenue. Turn left back to Belair Railway Station
Access the Trail From
- the park Information Office at the main park entry
- Belair Railway Station
- carpark at Playford Lake
- the Lodge Track, from Sheoak Road (cross the railway line)
- Pines 2 picnic area
- Government Farm 2 picnic area
- Adventure Playground
- Valley Road
- Joseph Fisher picnic area
- Trailhead at Long Gully Residence and Volunteer Centre