- 4.1 km circuit
- 1.5 hours
- Suitable for
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Chowilla Game Reserve and Regional Reserve
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 GPS files
- 10 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 2+ hours
About the Walking Trail
Meander through the wetlands and creeks beside the Murray River. The wetland flora and fauna are highlights of this trail, especially the majestic River Red Gums and abundant birdlife.
Start the hike from either:
- from the carpark beside boatramp and Customs House (total return trail distance is 4.1km)
- from the carpark inside Chowilla Game Reserve (total return trail distance is 3.5km)
A section of the trail is out-and-back. The end of this trail is indistinct, but it is actually a peninsula into the wetlands, when the trail and land becomes unclear, turn around. This section is well worth venturing out onto, as you can often see pelicans and other birdlife on the water.
The old Customs House is very close to the South Australian/Victorian border. It operated from 1884 until 1904 – during this time, prior to Australia’s federation, river boats had to pay taxes at the borders of the three colonies.