About the Walking Trail
Enjoy a wander along Currency Creek on the Currency Creek Waterfall Hike. The trail goes under the old railway bridge which was built in 1884. It also passes and ancient canoe tree, which is a large eucalypt tree with a section carved from its trunk which the local Aboriginal people used to make a canoe.
Near the canoe tree is the entrance to an old copper mining tunnel which was built after the discovery of copper here in 1847.
A short side trail visits the Currency Creek Cemetery, with the first headstones from the 1850s. There are many late river boat captains of a time past. The side trail to the cemetery is very degraded, the steps up the steep hill have been washed away, making the climb difficult and not really practical. The side trail is not marked, but is immediately before the canoe tree and old copper mining tunnel. There are some other rough unmade routes up from the creek near the old copper mining tunnel, but all our quite steep and can be slippery.
Continue along the trail to reach the Currency Creek Waterfall. The waterfall usually only flows in winter and after rains. The trail ends here, although some people have tried to keep walking along the creek the end of the trail is marked with several barbed wire fences.
There is a sign at the carpark entrance with walking distances along the trail, but we have measured them as:
- The railway bridge: 150m (300m return)
- Old Copper Mine, Canoe Tree and Currency Creek Cemetery (these are all close together): 500m (1km return) – however the end of the trail into the cemetery is very degraded
- Currency Creek Waterfall: 730m (1.46km return)
The picnic area at the carpark and the walking trail were build by the Lions Club of Goolwa and opened in 1977. The picnic area includes grassed areas, some tables and toilets.
Start the hike from the end of the carpark, which is off the main road to Goolwa.