- 5.1 km one way
- 90 mins - 2 hours one-way
- Suitable for
- Walking, Jogging, Trail Running
- Grade 3, Moderate Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Hallett Cove Conservation Park
- Adelaide City & Suburbs
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 GPS files
- 2 website links
- 27 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
- Total climb
About the Walking Trail
A clifftop boardwalk along the rocky coastline between Marino and Hallett Cove. Experience the unique environment along this section of Adelaide’s coastline, with rugged cliffs and rocky reef platforms. The trail follows the cliff edge, descending down numerous gullies. The trail consists of boardwalk, steps (lots) and pathways.
The walk is a good option as a regular route to keep fit, as there are numerous sets of stairs descending and ascending the numerous steep gullies which cut through the cliffs.
There are some interpretive trail signs about sealife and the environment, these are often provided in English, Vietnamese and Greek language translations.
Jump to the 20+ photos section below.
- elevation gain: 235m up, 235m down
- total trail length: 5.1km (one-way)
- flat distance: 2.2km
- climbing distance: 1.5km (north to south)
- descending distance: 1.4km (north to south)
Hike Length Options & Access Points
There are lots of options as to how long to make this walk.
There are several carparks along the way:
- Northern trailhead, Burnham Road (Marino Esplanade), Marino Rocks (5.1km from southern trailhead)
- Carpark, corner Marine Parade and Jervois Street, Marino South (500m from northern trailhead, 4.6km from southern trailhead)
- Street carparking, Murto Road – opposite 19 Marine Parade, Marino (1km from northern trailhead, 4.1km from southern trailhead)
- Roadside carpark between 59B and 61 The Cove Rd, Marino (1.4km from northern trailhead, 3.7km from southern trailhead)
- Street carparking with access trail between 9-10 Westcliff Ct, Marino (1.9km from northern trailhead, 3.2km from southern trailhead)
- Street carparking at the end of Clifftop Crescent near 14 Clifftop Crescent, Hallett Cove (3.6km from northern trailhead, 1.5km from southern trailhead
- Southern trailhead, carpark off Heron Way, Hallett Cove (5.1km from northern trailhead)
With the train line not too far away, you can walk one way and catch the train back:
- Marino Railway Station, 1km 12min walk to northern trailhead, Burnham Road (Marino Esplanade), Marino Rocks (5.1km from southern trailhead)
- Marino Rocks Railway Station, 550m 7min walk to Marine Parade (500m from northern trailhead, 4.6km from southern trailhead)
- Hallett Cove Railway Station, 650m 10min walk to Clifftop Crescent (then 3.4km from northern trailhead, 1.7km from southern trailhead)
- Hallett Cove Beach Railway Station, 1km 15min walk from southern trailhead
An option is to include some of the Glacial Hike loop to view the Sugarloaf and Amphitheatre.
Water, Toilets & Cafes
Water is available along the way from several drinking water fountains. There are also two toilets and two cafes.
There are toilets at:
- the carpark at the corner of Marine Parade and Jervois Street, Marino South (500m from northern trailhead, 4.6km from southern trailhead)
- on the south side of the cafe at the southern trailhead (5.1km from northern trailhead)
There are two cafes along the trail:
- Marino Rocks Cafe Restaurant on the corner of Marine Parade and Jervois Street, Marino South (500m from northern trailhead, 4.6km from southern trailhead)
- Boatshed Cafe at the southern trailhead (5.1km from northern trailhead)
Dogs are permitted between Clifftop Crescent, Hallett Cove and Kingston Park. Dogs are not permitted in Hallett Cove Conservation Park which is at the southern end of this trail.