- 3.5 km one way
- 1 hour
- Suitable for
- Walking, Hiking, Trail Running
- Murray River, Lakes & Coorong
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 GPS files
- 4 website links
- 18 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
About the Walking Trail
The Lions Walking Trail at Meningie wanders through a diverse flora that exist in a Mallee environment, from Bowman Street in the south to the Lookout and cemetery in the north.
During spring, orchids can be found along the tracks along with over 40 native flowering plants.
The trail starts south of Bowman Street (opposite East Tce). The trail has been a 3-stage project, with Stage 1 in the south starting from Bowman Street, and Stage 3 in the north at the Lookout. The map at the trailhead south of Bowman Street does not show the longer second and third stages of the trail.
In the first stage of the Lions Walking Trail south of Bowman Street there are two possible route choices. We recommend following the trail labelled Loop Track as it is more picturesque and pleasant. The main trail is a wider trail.
The second stage of the Lions Walking Trail heads north from Bowman Street (named Yarindale Rd outside of the town), opposite the Gun Club entrance.
The Lions Walking Trail ends in the north at the Meningie Cemetery, although most of the maps show the trail ending further south at Meningie Hill Lookout. From the cemetery walking towards the Lookout it is labelled as the Lookout Bush Track.
The Lions Walking Trail is marked with red and blue markers and signs. The blue signs point north (towards the Lookout and beyond) and the red signs point south (towards the trailhead on Bowman Street).
The trail is a mixture of gravel trail and dirt walking trail, and there is a ascent up to the Meningie Hill Lookout.
Trail section distances:
- Stage 1: from south of Bowman Street (opposite East Tce) looping back to Bowman Street (Yarindale Rd) near the Gun Club: 1.1km one-way (or 1.5km as a loop returning along the road)
- Stage 2: from north from Bowman Street (named Yarindale Rd outside of the town), opposite the Gun Club entrance to McIntosh Way (an 80km/h road): 1.2km one-way
- Stage 3: from McIntosh Way to Meningie Hill Lookout: 0.5km
- Stage ?4/Lookout Bush Track: from Meningie Hill Lookout to the Meningie Cemetery: 0.6km
The total trail is 3.5km one-way. You could return to Bowman Street by returning along Cemetery Road and the connecting East Terrace, which would be a 5.3km walk. Some maps suggest a route from the Cemetery following Selby Road to the lake edge, linking to the Pelican Path, and then following the main street and Bowman Street back to the start, this would be 6.3km loop.