About the Historical walk
Mintaro is an historic town in the eastern Clare Valley. The entire town of Mintaro was declared a State Heritage Area in 1984. The town was founded in 1854 by Joseph and Henry Gilbert. Originally, and for several years, Mintaro was a busy watering stop for throngs of bullock teams travelling the Gulf Road between the copper mining town of Burra and Port Wakefield, transporting copper and coal for the Patent Copper Company, however this traffic was reduced in 1852 as a result of the Victorian Gold Rush, eventually the town’s economy collapsed after 1857 when traffic was sent to the new railhead at Gawler.