- 14.9 km circuit
- 4-7 hours
- Suitable for
- Hiking, Trail Running
- Grade 3, Moderate Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Mount Brown Conservation Park
- Flinders Ranges & Outback
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 GPS files
- 3 website links
- 22 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 2+ hours
About the Walking Trail
A circuit hike along the Heysen Trail up to the summit of Mt Brown. The walking trails are over a gradual climb, through woodland with views across farmland and mountains.
The circuit begins by following a fire track from the trailhead at Olive Grove, past Waukarie Falls. The Falls are a very short walk off the trail. When the fire track meets the Heysen Trail, follow the Heysen Trail markers along a long ridge up to the summit of Mt Brown. Midway up the mountain, 3km from the trailhead and 100m off the trail is Bald Hill Viewpoint.
Near the summit, the circuit continues past an optional 1km side trip up to the summit. At the summit there is a lookout tower and interpretive signage. The lookout commemorates Robert Brown who was the naturalist aboard Matthew Flinders’ Investigator in 1802. Along this 15km loop trail evidence of a 1km deep canyon formed 600 million years ago can be found.
The circuit hike returns down a long ridge back to the Olive Grove trailhead. Along this trail there is geological evidence of a 1km deep canyon that was formed 600 million years ago.
The trailhead is at Olive Grove, at the end of Richman Valley Road out of Quorn.
The circuit is very well signposted, with yellow distance markers and checkpoints with maps. Download the Mount Brown Conservation Park Summit Hike brochure, or collect it from the trailhead where the Walking Trails Support Group restock the leaflets box. The alternative map, on the Walking Trails Support Group website also has Bald Hill Viewpoint marked.
There are a number of ways to do this hike:
- Circuit Hike, 15km, allow 4-7 hours. It is signposted in both directions, but the kilometre markers are marked clockwise, walking up the Heysen Trail and returning via a northern ridge.
- Circuit Hike without summit sidetrip, 13km, allow 4-7 hours
- Mt Brown summit and return via the Heysen Trail, 5.8km one way 11.6km return, allow 4-6 hours
- Bald Hill Viewpoint and return via the Heysen Trail, 3km one way 6km return, allow 2-4 hours