- 13.8 km return
- 5 hours return
- Suitable for
- Hiking, Trail Running
- Grade 3, Moderate Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Mount Remarkable National Park
- Flinders Ranges & Outback
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 GPS files
- 2 website links
- 20 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 2+ hours
About the Walking Trail
Hike along some of the Heysen Trail up to the summit of Mt Remarkable. The trail is gently graded as it contours up to the summit.
You can start the trail from the main street of Melrose, walking up to the Monument on the bitumen road past the caravan park. When walking across the scree slopes watch out for the remnants of a small plane that crashed here in 1980.
During 2016 a new second option trail was constructed, called the Mt Remarkable Southern Summit Trail. The trail begins 1km from the Monument Trailhead, and takes a newly constructed alternate 6.3km route from the new junction (which is 1km from the Monument) to the summit (compared to the existing trail which meanders up to the summit over 5.4km from that new junction). The new trail will allow people to walk to the summit as loop, heading up one trail and returning via the other (13.8km return).
- Mt Remarkable Northern Summit Trail: 6.5km one-way
- Mt Remarkable Southern Summit Trail: 7.3km one-way
You can begin the hike from:
- the main trailhead at the Monument
- the bush camping ground
- the swingbridge located at the end of Joe Road, near the caravan park entrance. There is a carpark beside the swingbridge
- central Melrose
Reach the Monument Trailhead by:
- walking across the swing bridge, and either following the road to the Monument, or a walking trail which begins from a gap in the small stone wall on the western edge of the campground
- driving across the ford and up the road to the Monument, there is a carpark here.