- 3 km return
- 1 hour return
- Suitable for
- Walking, Hiking, Dog Walking, Get to by public transport, Jogging, Mountain Biking
- Grade 2, Moderate Walk
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Anstey Hill Recreation Park
- Adelaide City & Suburbs
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 GPS files
- 7 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
About the Walking Trail
A walk along Water Gully to the ruins of Newsmans Nursery. The walk starts at Gate 6 on Perseverance Road, Vista.
Established in 1854, the extensive nursery ruins show glimpses into the past, including the heated glass houses. It was once the largest nursery in the southern hemisphere.
Access by Public Transport
It’s easily possible to do this hike by catching an Adelaide Metro bus, to bus stop 46, Perseverance Road, on route 557.
The Newmans Nursery was established in 1854, and the extensive ruins show glimpses into the past; of heated glass houses, and that it was the largest nursery in the southern hemisphere. The nursery was devastated by flood in 1912, and never quite recovered, being used as a dairy from 1932, and from 1935 assets from the buildings were salvaged and the property used for sheep grazing. What remained was destroyed by Ash Wednesday bushfires in 1983. Some of the family set up the current day Newmans Nursery in 1925, nearby on North East Road.
Extend the Hike
- Walk the Anstey Hill Loop, 7.5km, 2-3 hours