- 4 km circuit
- 2 hours return
- Suitable for
- Hiking, Trail Running
- Grade 3, Moderate Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Onkaparinga River National Park
- Adelaide City & Suburbs, Adelaide Hills
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 GPS files
- 1 website link
- 4 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
About the Walking Trail
Hike to view the rocky outcrops and meandering river of the Onkaparinga Gorge from the Sundews Lookout. Continue your walk along the ridge top, returning to the car park without descending to the river.
This walk is one of the walks that appear in the book 12 More Walks in the Onkaparinga River National and Recreation Park.
- First a choice: clockwise or anticlockwise? We will describe the former and you can save the reverse for another day. Leave the car park in an easterly direction. This track curves progressively towards the south, passing the Nature Trail on your left that you ignore.
- Begin at Park at Gate 11 on Piggott Range Road.
- 500m after leaving the car-park, you are looking for a trail that leaves on your left, marked ‘Lookout’ and ‘Loop Trail’. There is another Trail here – the Nature Trail again, which you should still ignore.
- The Lookout Trail goes downhill and you soon pass the sign to the Loop Trail. You will return to this point in a few minutes, but first make your way to the Lookout where there are big views to the northeast, towards the rock-climbing cliffs.
- Now return to the Loop Trail branch. You have covered a total of 1.4Km so far. It would be difficult to get lost from now on, as the Loop Trail is well walked and well-maintained. After another 1.4Km you come out onto a fire-track; go straight across to the continuation of the Loop Trail on the other side.
- After another 700m of mostly gentle downhill, with a steep drop to finish, you arrive at a creek crossing – this is usually dry. Climb up the other side, through a couple of curves some rough steps and on into a bushy section again. About 500m from the creek we crossed is a tee-junction where you meet another track. You can go right, to visit a small, hidden dam, although the left choice, uphill, takes you directly back to Gate 11 and the car park.
Extend the Walk
- Sundews River Hike, descend into the river gorge, 4.5km return loop, 4 hours return.