- 4.2 km circuit
- 1.5 hours
- Suitable for
- Walking, Hiking, Trail Running, Mountain Biking
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Mount Remarkable National Park
- Flinders Ranges & Outback
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 GPS files
- 1 website link
- 7 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
About the Walking Trail
Possum Loop trail heads north out to the north of the forest then connects to the Southern Flinders Rail Trail (Melrose – Wilmington Rail Trail) and returns south to the car park.
The trails in Willowie Forest, part of Mount Remarkable National Park, were built in opened in late 2017. The shared-use trails are for walkers and mountain bikers – although as the area is generally flat, and the trails mostly on wide fire tracks, it’s an ideal shared-use trail environment.
There are three trail loops in Willowie Forest:
Access the trailhead from the carpark and picnic area for Willowie Forest, which is 7.7km by road north of Melrose. You can also access it via the Southern Flinders Rail Trail, 4.8km north of the Melrose Showgrounds, or 6.8km north of Melrose.