- 25 km circuit
- 7-8 hours
- Suitable for
- Walking, Jogging
- Murray River, Lakes & Coorong
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 map PDFs
- 2 GPS files
- 6 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1-2 hours
About the Walking Trail
A loop trail along Australia’s mighty Murray River, between Tailem Bend and Wellington, South Australia.
This walking trail includes many sites of interest:
- historic Jervois and its buildings of yesteryear
- historic dairy properties on the Jervois to Wellington Road
- levee bank of the Jervois irrigation lands
- Murrundi Reserve with opportunity to view the river wildlife
- East Wellington Pangarinda arboretum
- historic East Wellington cemetery
- Mowantjie-Willauwar Conservation Park
Be on the lookout for trail markers with the River Bend Heritage Trail (RBHT) circle logo and strip markers labelled RBHT.
Appropriate clothing, footwear, first aid kit & personal medication, food, water and sunscreen are a must. Allow 7 - 8 hours for the full walk, and carry a compass or smartphone to find your way should you miss a trail marker or direction.
The directions are approximate and people using them do so at their own risk.
The notes are written in an anti-clockwise direction, although the walk could be walked in either direction.
0.0km, 1. To start from Tailem Bend, begin reading here
2. Cross the river
3. Choose an option
3B. Wellington - Jervois Rd route: continue along Jervois Ferry Rd verge for about 1.5 km into the town of Jervois to view buildings of historical interest including those of the old school and Jervois Hall. Proceed along the verge of the Wellington – Jervois Road to view the old dairy buildings and allied properties for approx 9 km to a point where it meets the levee access track.
3C. Combination levee / road routes: choose one or the other of the above options in the first instance, and utilise Kluske Rd running between Wellington – Jervois Rd and the levee bank as access to the other.
4. Murrundi Reserve
5. Wellington Ferry
6. To start from Wellington, begin reading here
7. Marra Drive
8. Turn left (north) and walk along unsealed Marra Drive for approx 70 m to entrance of Pangarinda arboretum to inspect reserve containing an amazing array of native flora (view the Pangarind Arboretum brochure with the link in the above Map Documents field).
9. Return to crossing point at 8, and turn left.