- 6.1 km circuit
- 2-3 hours
- Suitable for
- Hiking, Trail Running
- Grade 4, Hard Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Shepherds Hill Recreation Park
- Adelaide City & Suburbs
- Download maps & GPS files
- 2 GPS files
- 1 website link
- 18 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
About the Walking Trail
This route explores the tracks, creeks and historic sites in Shepherds Hill Recreation Park and adjacent Watiparinga Reserve. Walk along the River Red Gum Loop and on to the Viaduct Track through Watiparinga Reserve to the old railway tunnel and viaduct remains.
- Being the hike at the carpark on Ayliffes Road, and follow the single track Red River Gum Loop until it meets the Viaduct Track (a wide fire track). If the archery club is flying their red flag, you will need to divert around (signposted wider fire track).
- Continue on the wide Viaduct Track up the valley and out of Shepherds Hill Recreation Park into the adjacent Watiparinga Reserve, following trails up to the Belair railway line, where you can see the ruins of an old railway viaduct and an old railway tunnel.
- The railway line viaduct and tunnel were built in 1883 as part of the Adelaide to Melbourne railway, and replaced by the current dual track embankment and tunnel in 1919.
- Return via the Viaduct Track, and at the junction with the Watiparinga Reserve, take a short connecting walking trail to the Seaview Loop.
- Follow the Seaview Loop uphill, and connect with the Grey Box Loop. Return to the carpark via this trail, or near the bottom walk up the Seaview Loop for a short distance to follow the southern side of the River Red Gum Loop back to the carpark,
You can walk your dog in Shepherds Hill Recreation Park provided it remains under your control on a lead.
Watiparinga Reserve is managed by the National Trust, and is a restored woodland of Grey Box (Eucalyptus microcarpa) trees over a grassy understorey. The vegetation found within the reserve is typical of much of the grassy woodlands of the plains and foothills.
Trail Section Distances
There are a number of route options. These are the sections described above:
- River Red Gum Loop to Viaduct Track, 1.5km
- Along Viaduct Track through Watiparinga to railway, 1.3km one-way
- Returning from Watiparinga Reserve boundary on Seaview Loop via Grey Box Loop and River Red Gum Loop, 3.1km
- Returning from Watiparinga Reserve boundary on Seaview Loop via Grey Box Loop, 2.7km
- Returning from Watiparinga Reserve boundary on River Red Gum Loop, 1.5km
Access via Public Transport
This hike can be accessed via: