- Self-guided heritage walk with brochure
- Suitable for
- Clare Valley
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 website links
- 7 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
About the Historical walk
A self-guided historical walk of the town of Auburn, the southern gateway to the Clare Valley, is rich in history and built heritage. As early as 1839, in South Australia’s infancy as a colony, pioneers grazed sheep and cattle in the district. When established in 1849, the township was named Tateham’s Waterhole, after the first settler, William ‘Billy’ Tateham, who, reputedly, lived in a dugout on the side of the River Wakefield. In 1856, it was renamed after the Irish town of Auburn.
With the discovery of copper at Burra to the north-east, Auburn flourished as a resting place for the ‘bullockies’ and ‘muleteers’, the men responsible for carting copper ore from the mines at Burra to the gulf at Port Henry (now Port Wakefield).
The township retains much of its charm as well as its original stone buildings, many of which are listed on the National Trust, State Heritage and National Estate Registers. A number of these buildings have been converted into heritage-style accommodation and outlets catering for locals and visitors alike.
The brochure has been prepared by the Auburn Community Development Committee.