- 7.8 km return
- 1.5 - 3 hours return. Keen hikers/runners 30-55min up, 25-35min down.
- Suitable for
- Walking, Hiking, Jogging
- Grade 4, Hard Hike
- Park (national park, conservation park, forest, reserve)
- Waterfall Gully
- Adelaide City & Suburbs, Adelaide Hills
- Download maps & GPS files
- 1 map PDF
- 2 GPS files
- 9 photosJump to Photos section
- Travel options
- Travel time from Adelaide
- 1 hour or less
- Total climb
About the Walking Trail
On almost any morning of the year the trail attracts a range of people: some casually walking, others using it as a training walk, some runners, and others with heavy-simulated packs training for distant hiking locations like Nepal. As the walk involves some steep sections, the time taken to walk the trail can vary significantly.
On a busy weekend, car parking at Waterfall Gully can be limited.
Starting hiking from Mt Lofty instead of Waterfall Gully can be a good way to use the downhill as a warm up, to super charge your up-hill efforts.
The well-known and popular Waterfall Gully to Mt Lofty summit hike is good – short and sweet (code for good, but steep).
Here are 7 other ways to hike up to the summit of Mt Lofty. Some are gentler, some just as steep. Expect to see fewer people but more koalas and kangaroos.