Registrations for this event have closed.
- Guided hikes start at 10:30am
- Hiking expo at summit from 10:30am to 3:30pm
Most Adelaidians are familiar with the Waterfall Gully track to Mt Lofty Summit but did you know there are at least 10 other routes that can get you to the top? Come and join one of our hosted walks and discover some of the lesser known trails exploring Cleland Conservation Park and the trails beyond.
There are walk options to suit everybody. If you’re after a serious climb along forest trails to get your heart pumping, a gentle ramble to take in the scenery or something in between then we have a walk for you. Check out the options and choose from various lengths, terrain and starting points. All guided walks will start at 10:30am and will be lead by one of our member clubs so you don’t even need to read a map!
Once you’re at the top, you can refresh yourself at the Summit Cafe and stroll among the stall holders in the summit courtyard.
So whether it’s a new route or an old favourite, register for one of the Trails Less Travelled and we’ll see you at the summit!
- Sunday 14 October 2018
Guided Hikes start 10:30am.
Hiking Expo at summit from 10:30am to 3:30pm.
Trails Less Travelled
Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction
Mount Lofty Summit,
Cleland South Australia 5152
- Free entry
- 2018-10-14 10:30:00 2018-10-14 16:00:00 Australia/Adelaide Trails Less Travelled Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walktober/event-mt-lofty-2018/ Mount Lofty Summit WalkingSA
This event is 1 of 15 walk events to hike up Mt Lofty for Trails Less Travelled.
10:30am Sunday 14 October 2018
Commencing in the main street of Stirling, this walk explores the quiet leafy lanes of Stirling following some of the Crafers to Stirling Circuit, before following the meandering Crafers to Mount Lofty Trail along fire tracks to Mt Lofty Summit.
The hike begins from the lawned reserve outside Coventry Library, Stirling.
Getting to the Start by Public Transport
There is an Adelaide Metro route 864 bus departing Adelaide at 9:28am, arriving at 10:06am at Stop 37 Mt Barker Road Stirling.
- 2 hours (one-way)
- Hike Length
- 5.7km one-way (11.4km return)
- Start elevation
- End elevation
- Elevation gain
Registrations for this event have closed.
This walk option has reached capacity.
- 2018-10-14 10:30:00 2018-10-14 14:30:00 Australia/Adelaide Stirling via laneways and fire tracks to Mt Lofty (Trails Less Travelled) Hike Mt Lofty from a different direction https://www.walkingsa.org.au/walktober/event-mt-lofty-2018/stirling-via-laneways-and-fire-tracks-to-mt-lofty-2018/ Mount Lofty Summit WalkingSA
- Simple summary map of all hike options
- Simple summary map of SHORT distance hike options
- Simple summary map of MEDIUM distance hike options
- Simple summary map of LONGER distance hike options
- GPX file of all hikes (for a GPS unit)
- KML file of all hikes (for Google Earth)
- KML file for use in Google Earth
- GPX file for GPS device
The walk ratings are easy, moderate and challenging. What do these mean?
You should bear in mind that all these walks are climbing Mt Lofty, and they all have a steep 100m ascent to the summit at the end (as many who have walked the main Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty walking trail would know.)
- Easy: generally a gentle walk on meandering trails that contour around hills. The start point is already high above the plains, so the overall the metres climbed on the hike is low.
- moderate: comparable to the Waterfall Gully to Mount Lofty walking trail.
- challenging: a longer or steeper route.
Are the trail distances one-way or return?
All trail distances are the one-way trip from the 10:30am start point to Mt Lofty Summit.
Which walks are suitable for children?
There are 15 hike options. Most are suitable for children, but of course that depends on the age and ability of the child. The following walks would be good for children:
- Cleland Wildlife Park via the Harford Trail (Child Friendly Walk) - 2.1km
- Wine Shanty Hike - a gentle meandering hike 5km
- Crafers - a gentle trail walk (just short and steep at the end) - 4.8km
- Mt Lofty Botanical Gardens - for the more adventurous child, steep at the start and end - 5.1km
Do I walk back with the same host?
Host Bushwalking Clubs will offer to also walk back via the same route or a similar route. At the summit you will need to be aware of what time your walk leader will be leaving to return to the start point.
- You may choose to walk your own route to return, or retrace your steps.
- If you're hiking with a friend you could park a second car at the top before the hike, and drive back to the start in your first car. Then when you reach the top you have a car to drive down in, back to collect the first car.
- Adelaide Metro bus service 823 stops at Mt Lofty Summit at 10:42am, 1:42pm and 4:42pm. The bus service originates in Cleland Wildlife Park and goes to Crafers Park N Ride stop 24 (by the freeway), with connections to the city and hills.
My preferred Guided Hike is full
Host Bushwalking Clubs will be offering the guided walks and there is a capacity limit for each walk. As walks fill we may have some limited ability to add additional groups to a trail route.
What's at the Hiking Expo at the top?
Stroll among the stall holders of walking clubs, retailers, map retailers, adventure tour companies and nature based tourism businesses.
There’s fresh drinking water and toilets, or grab a coffee or bite to eat at the Summit Cafe.
Do I have to join a walk to visit the summit Hiking Expo?
Anyone can visit the Hiking Expo at the summit, entry is free.
How can I get to the Mt Lofty Summit Hiking Expo if I am not doing a walk?
The summit has limited parking, we encourage people to car pool from Crafers or to use public transport, or enjoy a walk on one of our Guided Hikes.
Car parking areas:
- There is some paid metered car parking available at the summit. The carparking fees at the summit are permanent and not related to the event. The parking fee is $4 regardless of duration, payment is via $1 and $2 coins or VISA and Mastercard.
- There is some very limited free car parking near the entrance gate.
- There is some further roadside car parking along Mt Lofty Summit Road.
Getting to the summit by public transport. Adelaide Metro bus service 823 departs from Crafers Park N Ride stop 24, beside the freeway off ramp, (with connections from the City and hills) heading towards Cleland Wildlife Park and stops along the way at stop 26 Mt Lofty Summit:
- departs Crafers at 10:04am arriving at Mt Lofty Summit at 10:10am
- departs Crafers at 1:04pm arriving at Mt Lofty Summit at 1:10pm
Leaving the summit by public transport. Adelaide Metro bus service 823 from Cleland Wildlife Park departs from stop 26 Mt Lofty Summit and arrives at Crafers Park N Ride stop 24 (beside the freeway) with connections to the City and hills.
- departs Mt Lofty Summit at 10:42am and arrives at Crafers at 10:50am
- departs Mt Lofty Summit at 1:42pm and arrives at Crafers at 1:50pm
- departs Mt Lofty Summit at 4:42pm and arrives at Crafers at 4:50pm
Which Guided Walks can use public transport to get to?
Some of the walks can be reached by Adelaide Metro bus services on the Sunday:
- Greenhill Recreation Park to Mt Lofty via Chambers Gully
There is an Adelaide Metro route 142 bus departing Adelaide at 9:15am, arriving at 9:35am at Stop 18 Glynburn Road Burnside. It is then a 30 min 2.1km walk to the end of Thorpe Avenue Burnside.
- Stirling via laneways and fire tracks
There is an Adelaide Metro route 864 bus departing Adelaide at 9:28am, arriving at 10:06am at Stop 37 Mt Barker Road Stirling. The hike begins from the lawned reserve outside Coventry Library, Stirling.
- Pioneer Women’s Trail from Beaumont
There is an Adelaide Metro route 147 bus departing Hutt Street, Adelaide at 9:23am, arriving at 9:45am at Stop 19A Dashwood Road Beaumont. The hike begins from Brock Reserve, Beaumont.
- Yurrebilla Trail from Brownhill Creek
There is an Adelaide Metro route 171 bus departing Adelaide at 9:55am, arriving at 10:19am at Stop 16A Maitland St Mitcham, it’s then a 14min 850m walk up Carrick Hill Drive to McElligott’s Quarry Reserve. This walk will wait for any walkers using this bus service. The hike begins from the carpark at McElligott’s Quarry Reserve, Mitcham.
There is an Adelaide Metro route 864 bus departing Adelaide at 9:31am, arriving at 10:03am at Stop 24A/Zone B Crafers Park N Ride.
- Heysen Trail from Bridgewater
There is an Adelaide Metro route 864 bus departing Adelaide at 9:31am, arriving at 10:16am at Stop 46 Mt Barker Road.
What do I need to wear and bring on the day?
- wear some runners or hiking boots
- wear a hat and sunblock
- if there is a chance of rain, bring a rain jacket or umbrella
- bring something warm to wear at the summit
- bring 1-2L of water (water can be refilled at Mt Lofty summit)
Can I bring my dog along?
Unfortunately not, dogs are not permitted in Cleland Conservation Park, and not everyone in guided walk groups welcomes our four legged friends.
- Event Organiser
More people walking more often
- Walk led by
Heart Foundation Walking
This guided walk is led by volunteer leaders from Heart Foundation Walking. The Heart Foundation promotes walking as an individual with the Heart Foundation Walking app, which will help you track your steps, connect to health information, take part in events and campaigns and stay motivated to take up and keep walking. Join a Heart Foundation Walking group and take positive steps to help reduce stress, have a healthier body, build stronger relationships, and most of all, be happy. Join Australia